Hi and welcome back.
For the next two weeks, I’ll be posting simple Off Camera Flash Techniques using one to three speedlgihts and showing you how to get great results with simple gear.
Here is a gear list:
- Nikon SB910 and SB800’s with battery packs
- Ansmann 2850 Mah Nickel Metal Hydride AA Batteries
- I usually use Pocket Wizards but will pull images from multiple sources so I’ll tell you what I used
- Manfrotto 1052 BAC Lightstands
- Matthews Hollywood Grip Arm
- Photek or Lumopro umbrella brackets
- California Sunbounce reflectors
- Impact reflectors 42×72
- Modifiers from Photoflex, Rogue, Westcott, Creative Light (Note: Creative Light softboxes have now been re-branded and brought under the Profoto RFI brand. They are excellent and reasonably priced softboxes with a great speedlight speedring)
Ok, let’s jump right in.
For today, we’ll look at over and under beauty or clamshell lighting. I love this kind of light as it is soft, wrapping light that envelops your subject and is easy to execute.
Here, in the BTS shot, I have my SB910 set to Manual Mode at 1/2 power, omnibounce on, and shooting through a Photoflex 45″ umbrella. The umbrella here works well as it throws and scatters soft light and helps to illuminate your entire subject.
Below is a California Sunbounce Micro Mini reflector. The CS reflector is the best on the market as you can get a grip head to attach it to a lightstand and work alone. You can use the silver or white side depending on the amount of fill and contrast you want in the image. Here, I used white.
In the final, you can see the double reflection indicative of this type of lighting setup in the model’s left eye.
Here’s my exposure: 1/125 @ f/7.1, ISO 200, WB Daylight.
I shoot all my headshots with long lenses, here the 70-200 vr.
With the light so soft and wrapping, finishing in Photoshop only requires a few short minutes.
Here’s a final:
That’s it. You have a simple one light setup with a reflector that gives fantastic soft and pleasing light that’s easy to execute.
Give it a shot, you won’t be disappointed!
Till next time, happy shooting!